I have been following a lot of blogs, written by people I do not know. It is so interesting and has been very therapeutic for me! I thought the following post was SO TRUE, and I really was able to relate. I have been there before and it is a painful day for so many. This opened my eyes again to being sensitive to others around me - PLEASE remember those people in your lives that want a baby and aren't a mom yet, OR those who have lost their mother. Love, Charisse
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the post I read: Title of post - A week of Celebration???? For ME???
What does Mother's Day mean to me??? I don't know. It was a horrible "holiday" for me to suffer through when I was going through infertility. I, by that time, had no mom to celebrate ....and going to church on that Sunday felt like a mean joke. They were celebrating the very thing that I wanted the most in the world, and could not have. When I had my first baby, I realized that the actual day celebrating Mother's does not hold much weight for me. I discovered that I actually celebrate becoming a Mother on my daughter's birthday. That is MY anniversary of becoming a mother.
I guess for Mother's day...it's more of a reminder of my past. It's remembering how hard I struggled to even conceive a baby. It's a memory of painful surgeries, and meds...and even a reminder of my mother....memories that I can usually suppress 363 days a year.
When you are celebrating Mother's Day on Sunday, try and remember your infertile friends. This is about as bad as the pain gets...watching the world celebrate the very thing you can't achieve. The thing you want the most in life...to be a Mommy. Give her a hug, and tell her that you are always there to listen.
Also remember the women who have lost Mother's to death, or to estrangement. Offer hugs, and a shoulder to cry on. It means a LOT just to have someone remember that your Mother is not with you to celebrate....just as it means a lot when someone remembers that you are suffering from a barren womb. Most people just want acknowledgment that the grief is real, and that the grief is OK.
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks Charisse...I LOVED that...made me cry:)
Post a Comment